Thursday, September 3, 2009

Planting a Citrus

Although, this is not the most ideal time to plant citrus in Houston, another year in a pot would have been the end for some of my trees. This week I planted two pummelos, 'Hirado Buntan' and 'Sarawak', and one limequat, 'Tavares.'

So the first thing I like to do is to mark the spot with a flag or a bamboo rod. I walk around it taking into consideration the future size of the tree, waterflow patterns around the area, any ariel easements, underground easements and pathways. Then I mark a 4' to 5' diameter circle around the flag. I remove the sod, trying to maintain as much of the soil as possible. This is what you end up with:

If I have extra soil from another project I usually add it to the top. In the past, I have lost so much soil when removing the sod that the area ends up lower than I initially wanted. Plus, if your tree sinks, which they sometimes do, the added elevation still prevents it from flooding. Then, I set the pot near the center and start moving it until it looks good and I know that the dominant branches are going to grow in the direction I want them too. You should water the container until it is fully saturated, it will help with transplant shock and also leave I nice wet ring where you set it down. I dig a hole that would make the soil line of the tree level with that of the new area. I add a few handfuls of compost to the bottom of the hole and plant. Remember, that citrus tree roots are a little more sensitive to manhandling so don't be too aggressive when planting.


Once, it is planted I rake carefully around the area, never pushing down around the root ball or compressing it. Since I still have leaves from last year (now partially composted,) I use them as mulch around the tree. If you have access to native shredded mulch then it will also work. In a pinch you can use alfalfa hay, but all things being equal the leaves are free. Be sure not to have the mulch directly against the tree trunk. This is what your tree should look like:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home