Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Summer Harvesting

I was out harvesting this afternoon, prompted by a visit from a friend earlier this week. "You haven't been harvesting,dear" she gestured to the Suyo cucumbers. Then she saw the okra. More lecturing. ThanNhi is one of those magical people that truly enjoys harvesting and weeding. In a perfect world she would live next door or at least walking distance from my garden. I love to build beds, mulch them, plant them, make plants grow, but harvesting I am less passionate about. I harvest when I cook, not when things need to be harvested.

So today I was out harvesting and as always once I am out there I find it enjoyable. Lots of young tender 'Hill Country' okra, a few suyo long cucumbers, several sweet peppers, some pomegranates, a dozen eggplants and a couple of 'Sunburst' squash. Tonight we ate curried okra with onions, a dish that took significantly more salt than the recipe suggested, but was tasty nonetheless. We also had glazed eggplant rounds, mmm... Anyways, I appreciate when a trusted friend comes over and shames me into harvesting. The results are often quite delicious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home